• 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
• 1 cup dried bread crumbs
• 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
• 1/2 cup milk
• One large egg beaten
• 2 tbsp. ketchup
• 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp. dried parsley leaves
• 3/4 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
• For the Topping:
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 2 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
• 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
• Preheat oven to 350°
• In a large bowl, add the beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, two tablespoons of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Use your hands to mush and mix these ingredients until well combined.*
• Add the meat mixture to a loaf pan. Pat the meat down into an even layer.
• In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar. Stir to combine. Pour the sauce on top of the meatloaf and spread it into an even layer.
• Bake uncovered for 55 minutes.
• Let the meatloaf rest for 8-10 minutes before serving (or it may fall apart).**
*Be sure to mix the meat really well. This is a very moist meatloaf recipe, so under mixing can cause the meatloaf to be too soft/mushy.
** I use two thin spatulas to remove the meatloaf from the pan and transfer it to a cutting board. You could also slice and serve the meatloaf directly from the loaf pan or use parchment paper to line the pan for easy removal.
And Folks, here’s a kicker.
In the same recipe, substitute ground beef with one lb. raw chicken breast (which has been finely chopped) or use a food processor to mince. You will make a CHICKEN PATE!!!!
Have any questions? Get in touch and connect with Chef Iraj:
Iraj’s LinkedIn Profile
- 7087285948 (Work)